Along this route you can see how gravel extraction has affected the landscape in the Valley and how restoration is creating a local resource for both people and wildlife alike.
About the walk
Start point: Moor Green Lakes car park, Lower Sandhurst Road, Eversley. SU 805627
Distance: 5 km /3 miles
Walk time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Terrain: Flat on relatively good surfaces, but with some steps and stiles.
Rail to Trail: there is no train station nearby.
Moor Green Nature Reserve
- 1. From the car park walk down the path passing the lakes of Moor Green Lakes Nature Reserve on the left. Continue straight past Colebrook bird hide and cross over a bridge, until reaching a T-junction where the river is in front.
Along the River Blackwater
- 2. Turn right to join the Blackwater Valley Path. Follow the Path along the river passing an area known as Manor Farm, which is one of a number of areas along the Valley where gravel extraction is forming the landscape. When the Path forks keep to the right to follow it as it heads away from the river and emerges on to Longwater Road.
- 3. Turn left and follow the road south. When the pavement runs out cross to the other side of the road and then cross back again to take the signed footpath on the left, which is just past Longwater Lane.
- 4. The footpath runs along the edge of the cricket green, follow the yellow Hampshire County Council footpath arrows around the cricket pavilion. Cross over a small bridge and then a stile to follow the grass path to another stile and then out onto Fox Lane. Turn left. Note: Alternatively, after the cricket pavilion, turn right down wide gravel path to take you past cricket green to the Reading Road for refreshment at one of the pubs. Then take first left onto Fox Lane. This may be necessary if the footpath is very wet.
- 5. Follow the lane around to the right past the gravel extraction works entrance. Then just after Watmore Farm go through a gate and down the signed footpath on the left. This leads past a lake to the left.
- 6. Pass through a further two gates and over a small bridge walking through an area of housing. The footpath continues between the houses along a surfaced path.
- 7. When the path forks, keep to the left to go through a vehicle barrier emerging onto Mayflower Drive. Cross the road and continue along footpath almost opposite. Then cross Exeter Gardens and continue along the footpath.
- 8. Pass through another vehicle barrier leading out onto a grassed area. Bear left to cross the grass and turn left onto Moulsham Copse Lane. Continue along the road until reaching a wooden footpath sign on the left.
- 9. Follow this gravel path, which will widen taking you past a lake on your right. Where the paths cross, keep straight. When the bridleway and footpath run parallel, divided by a hedge, keep to the footpath on the right which runs along the river.
Back to Moor Green Nature Reserve
- 10. At the bridge cross over the river and turn left to re-join the Blackwater Valley Path. Follow the Path with the river on the left. Turn right leaving the Blackwater Valley Path but keep the lake on the right to return to the car park.