Circular walk 6 – allotments and Hatches around Frimley

Learn about some of the history of Frimley as you walk along the canal towpath, riverside path, through woodland and heath

About the walk

Start point: Frimley Lodge Park car park, Sturt Road, Frimley Green, Camberley GU16 6HY. SU 887562.

Distance: 8 km/ 5 miles

Walk time: 2 hours 30 minutes

Terrain: generally easy walking, some slopes

Getting there

Rail to Trail: the nearest stations are Frimley and Farnborough North. From Frimley Station exit onto the and start the walk at point 8.

Along the Basingstoke Canal

Historically, the 24 hectares which make up Frimley Lodge Park were used as grazing land. Then in 1972 the landowner passed away leaving no heirs. For years the land lay neglected, until in 1981 Surrey Heath Borough Council compulsorily purchased the site to provide an open space for recreation. During the restoration of the site the Council tried to retain many of the traditional grass meadows, edged with hedgerows and deciduous woodland. Today the park provides a valuable habitat for many plants and animals as well as offering a wide range of leisure activities to the local community. There is lots of open space and woodland, picnic areas, two children's playgrounds, a trim trail, miniature railway and meadows. There is also football, cricket pitches and a pitch and putt courses available to hire.
  • 1. Follow the path from the car park signed as 'Canal North' past the Pavilion and football pitches and then left onto the canal tow path. Follow the instructions on the signs over the first bridge you come to. Continue along the towpath over the aqueduct. At Deepcut Bridge go under the canal and then up the concrete steps on the right. Turn right at the road to cross over the canal.
Frimley Aqueduct was constructed in 1839 and extended in 1904 when the London and South Western Railway company doubled the width of the line. It was reported that water was leaking onto the steam locomotives passing underneath so the railway company lined the aqueduct with lead.

Frimley Fuel Allotments

  • 2. Cross this busy road with care and take the first left, Lake Road, signposted to Frimley Green. Then turn right into Bellew Road, accessible on foot only. Continue past the Royal Logistic Corps barracks and follow the road around to the right as it becomes Blackdown Road.
  • 3. After passing Woodend Road on the right take a surfaced track into the heath/wood on the left opposite house numbers 2S and 27. After 100 m there is an open grassy area on the right, take the grass track leading off to the left. This path runs downhill along a sandy track then flattens out.
  • 4. At a crossroads turn right onto a wide track known as Valley Road. At the next junction with a wide track turn left and continue straight along this track until a playing field becomes visible. This area is known as Frimley Fuel Allotments.
In 1801 the Government enclosed common land, which previously everyone had shared for grazing their animals and harvesting peat and wood for fuel. Land was distributed to the rich for farming, increasing the poverty of the poor. Locally the authorities and richer people tried to help by putting aside an area of heathland for the poorest villagers to harvest fuel, this area is still known as the Frimley Fuel Allotments and is cared for by the Frimley Fuel Allotments Charity. The army bought a lot of the surrounding common land and towns grew up, reducing the demand for fuel. Today the army use the land for exercises, local people use it for recreation and Frimley Fuel Allotments like all heathland, the site provides an important habitat to a range of wildlife.

Walk through Frimley

  • 5. Here, carry on in the same direction, on a smaller path leading into a more enclosed woodland to the right of the playing fields. Continue to St. Catherine’s Road / Regent Way. Cross the road and turn right then immediately left down the footpath and cycleway.
  • 6. At the T-junction turn left and pass Caroline Way and a school on the right, when the path ends turn right onto Field Lane. 'Where the road becomes Frimley Grove Gardens, cross and take the left fork continuing along Field Lane, which becomes a surfaced track and then a footpath. A narrow entrance on the left leads into St. Peter's churchyard. Follow the path through to the right past the church.
The original parish church was built in 1606, but due to a growing population this was deemed too small and in 1825 a new church was built and later extended in 1880 to complete the St. Peter's Church that we can see today. In the vestry of the church is a Register of Burials from 1616 to 1817. Frimley Rectory was the location for a 19th Century murder. It was in October 1850 that the Reverend George Holiest was shot whilst attempting to take the poker from the fireplace to attack the two or three burglars who had broken into the house.
  • 7. Cross Grove Road and go straight down Church Road towards Frimley Town. Continue straight across the next roundabout into Frimley High Street.
Station link: to Frimley

River Blackwater and Frimley Hatches

  • 8. At the end of the High Street use the railway bridge beside Frimley Station to cross the railway line and continue round to the left. 0 Follow the 'Blackwater Valley Path South' signs to join the Path. Proceed alongside the River Blackwater passing a number of lakes.
Station link: to Farnborough North
Frimley Hatches is a site consisting of four former gravel pits, which have been restored to lakes and are popular with anglers. It’s also an important area for wintering and migrating birds.
  • 9. Where a bridge takes the Path over the A331 towards Farnborough North Station turn left towards Frimley Green (do not cross bridges). The path runs between two lakes, emerging onto the railway line. Take care crossing and then continue straight down The Hatches. Keep right at the small triangular traffic island and carry onto Frimley Green.

Back to the start

  • 10. Follow the road round to the right onto Green Road, heading towards The Rose and Thistle pub. Turn right onto Sturt Road which will take you under the railway line back to Frimley Lodge Park, located on the left side of the road.