Learn about some of the history of Frimley as you walk along the canal towpath, riverside path, through woodland and heath
About the walk
Start point: Frimley Lodge Park car park, Sturt Road, Frimley Green, Camberley GU16 6HY. SU 887562.
Distance: 8 km/ 5 miles
Walk time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Terrain: generally easy walking, some slopes
Rail to Trail: the nearest stations are Frimley and Farnborough North. From Frimley Station exit onto the and start the walk at point 8.
Along the Basingstoke Canal
- 1. Follow the path from the car park signed as 'Canal North' past the Pavilion and football pitches and then left onto the canal tow path. Follow the instructions on the signs over the first bridge you come to. Continue along the towpath over the aqueduct. At Deepcut Bridge go under the canal and then up the concrete steps on the right. Turn right at the road to cross over the canal.
Frimley Fuel Allotments
- 2. Cross this busy road with care and take the first left, Lake Road, signposted to Frimley Green. Then turn right into Bellew Road, accessible on foot only. Continue past the Royal Logistic Corps barracks and follow the road around to the right as it becomes Blackdown Road.
- 3. After passing Woodend Road on the right take a surfaced track into the heath/wood on the left opposite house numbers 2S and 27. After 100 m there is an open grassy area on the right, take the grass track leading off to the left. This path runs downhill along a sandy track then flattens out.
- 4. At a crossroads turn right onto a wide track known as Valley Road. At the next junction with a wide track turn left and continue straight along this track until a playing field becomes visible. This area is known as Frimley Fuel Allotments.
Walk through Frimley
- 5. Here, carry on in the same direction, on a smaller path leading into a more enclosed woodland to the right of the playing fields. Continue to St. Catherine’s Road / Regent Way. Cross the road and turn right then immediately left down the footpath and cycleway.
- 6. At the T-junction turn left and pass Caroline Way and a school on the right, when the path ends turn right onto Field Lane. 'Where the road becomes Frimley Grove Gardens, cross and take the left fork continuing along Field Lane, which becomes a surfaced track and then a footpath. A narrow entrance on the left leads into St. Peter's churchyard. Follow the path through to the right past the church.
- 7. Cross Grove Road and go straight down Church Road towards Frimley Town. Continue straight across the next roundabout into Frimley High Street.
River Blackwater and Frimley Hatches
- 8. At the end of the High Street use the railway bridge beside Frimley Station to cross the railway line and continue round to the left. 0 Follow the 'Blackwater Valley Path South' signs to join the Path. Proceed alongside the River Blackwater passing a number of lakes.
- 9. Where a bridge takes the Path over the A331 towards Farnborough North Station turn left towards Frimley Green (do not cross bridges). The path runs between two lakes, emerging onto the railway line. Take care crossing and then continue straight down The Hatches. Keep right at the small triangular traffic island and carry onto Frimley Green.
Back to the start
- 10. Follow the road round to the right onto Green Road, heading towards The Rose and Thistle pub. Turn right onto Sturt Road which will take you under the railway line back to Frimley Lodge Park, located on the left side of the road.